I adapted this recipe from the winner of a Chatelaine magazine muffin bake-off. The muffins have been a favourite in our house for years every spring as our giant rhubarb plants begin to take over the backyard. The recipe is relatively healthy!
- 1 1/2 cups brown flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 TBsp double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground cimmamon
- 3 TBsps brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 TBsp melted, unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups 2" lengths chopped rhubarb
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
This batter is thick and lumpy, so push and spread it to the edge of the grids. Excellent with just whip cream and syrup.
- Melt the butter and reserve.
- Finely chop rhubarb -- don't worry if it isn't all uniform, slightly larger pieces provide a nice zing in the waffles.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well
- Whisk together the eggs and butter in a medium bowl
, then add buttermilk and lemon
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well, mixing until just blended
- Mix in the rhubarb