Crispy Cornmeal Waffles
Corn in a waffle? Willing victims at this year's Test Kitchen were enthusiastic about the crunch and texture. The booze-soaked orange segments are a surprising and perfect counterpoint. This is another recipe pirated from Dorie Greenspan's Waffles: From Morning to Midnight.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 4 TBsp (1/2 stick) melted, unsalted butter
These cook like regular waffles, although you may want to make them thinner if you like them crunchy. Serve with...
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well
- Whisk together the eggs, maple syrup and buttermilk in a medium bowl
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well, mixing until just blended
- Gently stir in the butter
The exacting soul will remove all the rind and membrane on each orange segment. The more practical of us will just slice the peeled orange into 1" latitudes and segment. Get rid of any seeds, then add the sugar and booze, cover and set aside.
- 3 tasty oranges
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Grand Marnier, Brandy or other orange liqueur