This mish-mash of about 3 recipes traces its origin back to my mom's Five Roses cookbook -- recipes so time-tested that the book long ago lost its spine & cover and is now bound with an elastic.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBsp sugar
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1/2 c melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 egg whites beaten stiff
These take much longer to cook than the yeast waffles, but they can absorb a lot more toppings.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well
- Separate the eggs, and combine the yolks, oil and milk in a medium bowl
- Beat the egg whites stiff
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well, mixing only until just blended
- Fold in the egg whites.